Tuesday, February 12, 2008

502 and me

The good old Engg college days. It was my b'day eve and I knew my roomies were busy planning for by b'day celebs. Suddenly came the news that S5 results were out. We went to the canteen for the regular 4:00pm tea and snacks and one of my friends went to see the result board. He came back to canteen with a strange look on his face which made my heart beat faster..he said "502" looking at me. I couldn't believe my ears, nor cud my friends sitting there. I felt as if the whole world was reeling around me and in between I could hear the faint voice of my another friend saying " You will get it in reval". My thoughts went far . How can it happen? I had attempted all the questions and didn't mess up any of them. I had more than 90% for internals and I loved that subject. Now even if I give for reval , the result will come only after the supple exam, which means I will have to write the supple. Oh God is this real...is this happening to me...but why..... I stared at the result board for a long time that day.

Totally lost I went back to hostel .I called home to tell them about it,on my way back. My dad laughed aloud and said Oh thats great , you can learn the subject more thoroughly now. He has never been anxious or concerned about my studies or my marks and always gave me the freedom to do what I wanted and I love him for that. My mom was a bit shocked and told me that she had been to an astrologer recenlty and after looking at my horoscope he siad , that I am going to have some bad time in academics. Anyways I knew this would be the reaction and they will be supportive as always.

I tried not to loose my compose infront of others. I slept early that day and was woken up at 12:00 by my roomies. There were more than 25 people in my room, all my friends in LH, to celebrate my b'day. Lot of gifts, cake cutting and wishes followed. After everyone left and my roomies slept I cried my heart out...only to wake up with a puffy eyes the next day. I didn't feel like going to college that day, but I did. My good friends kept consoling me and also I could hear other hush voices saying " Did you know, she got a supple". Slowly I started accepting the fact and days went by. I gave it for reval and also started studying. I wrote the suple exam and weeks later came the day the reval results were getting published in internet. I rushed to a cafe near by with my friend and was frantically hitting the keyboard to get to the webpage. I scrolled my hands to reach my register number and the marks showed 76. With a sigh of relief I looked at other details and then my heart missed several beats. Status shows " Failed" , right next to my marks. I was confused. What' s this now? I enquired and came to know that I haven't passed and the marks are that of my first reval . What's this first reval?

To enquire further I reached the office of Vice chancelllor of our University. Now hear goes his explanation. My marks after first reval is 76, which is more than 25 marks than original. Such papers are sent for a second reval. My second reval mark is 48(Note that pass mark is 45) . Now second reval mark being the base, they find out the difference between 48 and the original mark and 48 and first reval mark. Whichever is smaller they take the average of those marks which becomes your final mark. The average came to 43, which made me fail :-( even after passing in both revals . Totally mad, iiritated and annoyed I started fighting with the chancellor. He told me that he has been trying to change this rule and will present this matter in their next meeting and he understands that it is a stupid rule. I just walked out of his room.

Being a member of Training and Placement cell in the college, this meant more than a mere supple to me. I couldn't write many of the recuitment tests due to my "standing supple", even though I had more than 75% marks altogether. Finally by the the time supple results came and I cleared it, many of my friends were placed in different companies. But I didn't have any bad feelings at that time. I had learned a lot about life and I just waited for my turn. That Friday morning was my day, as UST based in Tvm came for recruitment. I passed the aptitude,english cum puzzle round and then came GD. After which came the interview round. The HR guy asked me about my role model. I had hundreds of things to tell him why I considered my Grandmother my role model. I was seleted in final 28 and had a final interview at Tvm by the then COO. The news that I got the job came when I was at home in my pooja room, which was after we passed out from college and were back home.

UST was just a growing company that time with lesser visibility in the global market , which soon changed. UST helped me make many of my dreams come true. I was near my home and family and would go home once every month. I flew to US One and half years after joining. My mom had seen the same astrologer again who told her that I would go abroad after Sep 28th of that year. You believe it or not, I flew on the 29th of Sep. I went on to stay in US for another year , which helped me accomplish many of my dreams which I had nutured from college days.

Looking back at my trail from this point in my life , after the 502 incident, I feel God deliberately did so, strengthening my belief that things will finally fall in place for sure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

502 Was funny ! Does you university still have that rule ? , I liked the "Mom and Astrologer" part of the story ...I would say, he was really lucky to have the predictions falling in place ! My Astrologer's :-) ( If I had one ) job would have been really easy to predict " this guy would have though times in academics always " and I would have proved him correct again and again ! :-) Great start ! Keep writing !